Re: Begin and end of self (was The role of consciousness)

From: mwaser@cox.net
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 08:09:56 MDT

---- Mike Dougherty <msd001@gmail.com> wrote:

> So where does self begin and end?
>
> Despite sounding like some kind of koan, should a baby learn that its
> room is part of its self? Should the presence or absence of
> caregivers be included in the definition of self? Is the child's
> subjective awareness of all things collectively identified as its
> self?

As far as I'm concerned, my wife and kids are part of myself.

They are as autonomous as my subconscious and physically separate but as far as values, goals, choices and ethics are concerned, they are me.

Oh -- and just to be clear -- I generally override their choices about as frequently as I'm stupid enough to override my subconscious (i.e. it's virtually always a negotiation ;-).

Ever consider that the world would be a much better place if we didn't have such a clear belief as to where self ends?

I believe very strongly in being selfish -- it's just common-sense rationality . . . . It's just that I also believe that self should be extended as far as possible.