Begin and end of self (was The role of consciousness)

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 20:28:05 MDT

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com> wrote:
> What is so hard, unfortunately, is that almost the first baby-thing
> we learned in our cradles is that anything outside of what looks
> to be our own unique piece of skin is necessarily non-self. It's
> high time, with uploads and duplication coming, that we unlearn
> that bit of wrongneadedness.

So where does self begin and end?

Despite sounding like some kind of koan, should a baby learn that its
room is part of its self? Should the presence or absence of
caregivers be included in the definition of self? Is the child's
subjective awareness of all things collectively identified as its
self?

What do we call the intersection of multiple self-centric sets?