Re: Real-life Friendliness? (was: How to make a slave)

From: Aleksi Liimatainen (aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 01:26:38 MST

Nick Tarleton wrote:
> Because humans have been shaped by millions of years of evolution to
> care for their children. An AI would not have been shaped by any
> comparable evolutionary pressure.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am aware that goals don't materialize from thin
air. My point was, why would an SI be any more inclined to change a
similar goal once ve has it.
> Also, parents (being human) are not reliably Friendly. Some abuse
> their children. Others, without intending to, psychologically damage
> them. We need to be able to count on a powerful AI to do better.

Severe failures seem extremely rare in light of the usual messiness of
human behavior. I suspect it's because parents' love for their children
is about as close to an explicit supergoal as humans get. "Friendliness"
really wasn't the right term but I do find the parallels interesting,
especially given recent discussion.

--
Aleksi Liimatainen
aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi