Re: Real-life Friendliness? (was: How to make a slave)

From: Nick Tarleton (nickptar@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 19:50:45 MST

On Nov 30, 2007 9:22 PM, Aleksi Liimatainen <aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi> wrote:
> It occurs to me that there are real minds with the goal of helping
> inferior beings: parents.
>
> Children tend to be ignorant, shortsighted, selfish and generally a PITA
> to care for - pretty much how you'd expect an SI to view all humans -
> yet parents do their best to support their children. I also believe that
> given the choice, most people would want to be better parents, not worse.
>
> Why would an SI be different?

Because humans have been shaped by millions of years of evolution to
care for their children. An AI would not have been shaped by any
comparable evolutionary pressure.

See http://www.intelligence.org/upload/CFAI//anthro.html . "Complex
functional adaptations don't just materialize spontaneously in source
code, just as complex dishes like pizza don't suddenly start growing
on palm trees."

Also, parents (being human) are not reliably Friendly. Some abuse
their children. Others, without intending to, psychologically damage
them. We need to be able to count on a powerful AI to do better.