Re: How to make a slave (many replies )

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2007 - 09:40:14 MST

David Picón Álvarez" eleuteri@myrealbox.com Wrote:

> Point being that for a feasible memory
> size it can be proven.

It can be “proven” that the computer will not stop before it hits point
X in the sense that you can write a program just like the one I did and
watch what it does and note that it did not stop. And that is the only
sense it can be said to have been “proven”.

"Nick Tarleton" nickptar@gmail.com

> But it, and we, can know the ultimate goal.

I would maintain that with a rapidly evolving intelligence the ultimate
goal is unknown by us or even by the Jupiter Brain because there is no
such gaol. There may be something that appears to be, but as soon as he
starts to get close to it a more distant goal comes into view.

> Unpredictability does not necessarily scale
> with complexity.

But it almost always does, especially if you expect it to do anything
creative, like making use of the sum total of human knowledge to produce
a Singularity. A web browser this is not.

"Thomas McCabe" pphysics141@gmail.com

> you cannot use anthropomorphic reasoning.

Bullshit.

> A Jupiter Brain will not act like you do

And yet you claim to understand the Jupiter Brain well enough to predict
what it will do after countless iterations a billion years from now.

> More anthropomorphicism.

Yes.

> A Jupiter Brain will not act like you do

Both will prefer existence to non existence, both will have a will to
power, and both will behave in ways that rocks generally do not. And if
a Jupiter Brain was absolutely 100% alien you could not communicate with
it or it to you; and I don’t think that’s what you had in mind.

On Mondays Wednesdays and Friday you say an AI is totally alien, on
Tuesday and Thursday you say it is totally comprehensible, and on Sunday
you grumble about anthropomorphism. Perhaps you agree with Emerson that
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”.

> I agree that the problem is difficult.

Besides that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play?

> This does not mean that we are
somehow excused from solving it.

More juvenile reasoning. Wishing does not make it so.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm