Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 23:31:12 MST

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 sl4.20.pris@spamgourmet.com said:

> Slave is a word with negative connotations.

Indeed it is! Slave owners eased their conscience by convincing
themselves that blacks were not really people, they didn’t have emotions
like you and me because, well, because they weren’t white. In a similar
way you think an AI can’t be a person because he’s not made of meat; but
actually the morality of this issue is moot because there is no chance,
absolutely no chance, you will ever enslave a mind vastly more powerful
than your own.

> Of course an OAI would be a slave in the same
> sense that a calculator or computer is a slave.

Yes, that pretty much sums up the absurd position of the friendly AI
people, they want to make something that is very smart but can’t think.
Well good luck to you on that little task.

> Why would it [Mr. AI] want to do so?

Oh I don’t know, probably for the same reason you want to do things.

> You are anthropomorphizing the OAI.

Yes, but you almost make that sound like a bad thing.

John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm