Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 18:33:18 MST

--- John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 "Stathis Papaioannou" stathisp@gmail.com> said:

> > and on what basis are the good goals
> > distinguishable from the bad?
>
> I imagine the AI will accomplish that task the same way you do, by using
> his judgment.

Belief about what is good or bad is a complex function programmed by
evolution. For example, altruistic behavior toward other members of your
tribe is good because tribes whose members did not teach this behavior to
their children were less successful than those that did. Likewise for customs
prohibiting sexual activity that doesn't lead to reproduction. Likewise for
developing armies and technology to wipe out more peaceful tribes.

Is turning the Earth into a Dyson sphere of gray goo good or bad? The answer
depends on whether you believe the consciousness can be uploaded. I discuss
this in http://www.mattmahoney.net/singularity.html

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com