Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: Peter de Blanc (peter@spaceandgames.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 11:43:41 MST

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 08:52 -0800, John K Clark wrote:
> Well, you seem to have goals, they must have come from someplace, I’ll
> bet the AI’s goals will come from the same place.

My goal of eating sugar comes from human evolution. Will AIs also want
to eat sugar because of human evolution? If not, what are you actually
trying to say?

> I imagine the AI will accomplish that task the same way you do, by using
> his judgment.

"The AI will do it the same way you do" is not a useful way of thinking
about how to build an AI. We don't know how humans work. "Judgment" is a
useless word here. And what's up with "his"?