Re: answers I'd like, part 2

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 07:42:10 MST

On 17/11/2007, Adam Safron <asafron@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything you say here makes sense to me, but I think I disagree with
> respect to the necessity of molecular level modeling for making a
> functioning intelligence based on an emulated brain. Surely,
> molecular level information will be necessary to make an accurate
> model of any specific intelligence (e.g. uploading). However, we
> could emulate the functional properties of the brain–though not any
> specific brain–without keeping track of every molecule. And if we did
> keep track of every molecule, it seems that the required computational
> resources would make emulating a brain nearly impossible, even with
> the ability to harness sl4 levels of computation.

I think you would need both molecular level imaging and modelling to
simulate a particular human mind, but a coarser level of imaging would
do to simulate a generic human mind. But that doesn't mean a
computationally far simpler human level intelligence is not possible.
The brain did not evolve with the goal of making it easy to simulate.

--
Stathis Papaioannou