Re: answers I'd like, part 2

From: Adam Safron (asafron@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 06:49:00 MST

Everything you say here makes sense to me, but I think I disagree with
respect to the necessity of molecular level modeling for making a
functioning intelligence based on an emulated brain. Surely,
molecular level information will be necessary to make an accurate
model of any specific intelligence (e.g. uploading). However, we
could emulate the functional properties of the brain–though not any
specific brain–without keeping track of every molecule. And if we did
keep track of every molecule, it seems that the required computational
resources would make emulating a brain nearly impossible, even with
the ability to harness sl4 levels of computation.
-a