Re: Anti-transhumanist crap on Kuro5hin

From: Nathan Baum (nathan_baum@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2007 - 02:34:39 MST

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:36 +0200, Joshua Fox wrote:
> I am always eagerly looking for serious criticism of transhumanism and
> Singularitarianism.
>
> Unfortunately this, like some other items I have seen, is in the mode
> of political trash-talk rather than serious analysis.

Right. Intentionally or otherwise, the article is "preaching to the
choir": only people who already agree with the article's premise are
likely to agree with it.

People who think that transhumanism is dangerously communistic will
disagree with the article, whilst people who actually know about
transhumanism (and don't have an axe to grind) will know that it isn't
inherently political (although it will certainly _become_ politicised if
the politicians see the singularity coming), and also that the article
is mostly composed of misrepresentations of the opinions of individual
transhumanists as the opinions of transhumanists everywhere and patent
nonsense.