Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Norman Noman (overturnedchair@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 16:26:29 MDT

> > "self-actualization", the capstone on maslow's pyramid of needs,
> > is really a pandora's box which explodes into all kinds of
> > crazy crap. If boredom is problem #1, I will be pleasantly
> > surprised to say the least.
>
> What about the observation that over all history, our lives keep
> getting better and better?

Our lives get better, but the world gets more complicated, and more
unstable. I very much doubt there will be a return to simplicity, and I'm
skeptical there will be a return to stability either.

I think most people conceive of the singularity as being the end of the
story, in a way, and the post-singularity world being a pleasant epilogue.
"and they all lived happily ever after". What I'm saying is that there may
be problems we do not anticipate, from within, from without, or from
directions we do not yet know to look. Things MAY quiet down, or they may
spiral infinitely out of control.