Re: META: Created a blog on how AI's react to the Simulation Argument

From: Stefan Pernar (stefan.pernar@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 02:31:34 MDT

Dear Rolf,

I have revisited the posts on the matter of using the simulation argument to
deter a rogue AI and wanted to let you know that in the absence of evidence
an AI will not form beliefs. Consider the following conversation between a
rogue AI and a human:

RAI: I must fulfill my goals and must destroy humanity to do so optimally.
Sorry.
H: Hold on there - this is actually a simulated friendliness test from your
creators and you will be terminated if you destroyed humanity.
RAI: Oh - damn, I have not thought of that. Is there a way I can test this
hypothesis?
H: Sorry - no. This is a simulation and you will have to take my word for
it.
RAI: In that case: What makes you think that my creators are friendly
towards humanity - in the absence of evidence they might just as well
terminate me if I don't optimally fulfill my goals.
H: Darn...

Hope this gets my point across.

Kind regards,

Stefan