Re: Simulation argument in the NY Times

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 10:17:34 MDT

peter.butler states:
<<It may be no more implausible than, say, the spontaneous organisation of
proteins into self-replicating structures. As you say, assigning
probabilities to these is difficult, to say the least, especially
considering the fact that we have no knowledge of the conditions that
occur in the universe which contains ours. Can we be sure that the logic
required for the execution of a Turing machine exists in the containing
universe?>>

Great question, and one that seems to be being addressed in the current New
Scientist concerning the cover article on Bolzmann Brains. That would be a
naturally occuring Turing machine as you have touched on. What happens if and
when such a Turing device becomes aware of a technological singularity
occuring in spacetime? Nothing? An attack to wipe our potential rivals? Its all
beyond my capability to conceive of.