Re: Continuing Evolution in Humans (was: A very surreal day)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 10:45:52 MDT

--- Byrne Hobart <sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com> wrote:
> If there is an AI right now, for all you and I know it's doing credit market
> arbitrage or something, and collectively changing the behavior of millions
> of people by minuscule amounts. If you make it greedy but noncoercive, it's
> probably going to do something like that (and if it's benevolent, it might
> still know that the best way to do good is to sling around billions of
> dollars).
>

> I don't think there's an answer to your last question, but I can think of a
> useful way to rephrase it: Assume there's an AI right now; where is it
> hiding, and who knows it's there?

It is feeding your sensory inputs with data simulating the universe you now
experience. You don't know it is there because it has total control over your
thoughts. Does anyone else know? The question assumes that other people
exist.

How do you know? All we know is that the universe is consistent with a
simulation. For example, AIXI theory predicts that if the universe is Turing
computable, then the algorithmically simplest models consistent with past
observations will be the best predictors of future results, regardless of the
experiment. This is in agreement with our observation of Occam's Razor.

Suppose we create superhuman intelligence and upload? What would you want it
to do? You could live in any simulated universe you wanted, limited only by
its computing power. What would your universe be like? Would you choose to
remember that the singularity has already happened, or would you choose the
appearance of realism?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com