Re: Re[2]: A very surreal day

From: Byrne Hobart (sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 09:51:47 MDT

>We have a very hard time convincing technophiles of
>the benefits of the Singularity (see
>http://www.wholeearthmag.com/ArticleBin/111-6.pdf>by
>Cory Doctorow). How are we going to convince
>government bureaucrats, even if we wanted two?

One line from Doctorow's essay caught my attention:

>Singularity mysticism
>blithely denies all The Singularity's
>improbabilities because The
>Singularity would be really cool.

More true than he realizes: religious heavens are terminally boring (if
heaven is an eternity spent ecstatically praising your lord, then, as
Christopher Hitchens points out, we already have heaven on earth, and it's
called North Korea).

I do think the Singularity is worth pursuing because it's good and cool, and
I don't see why Doctorow can knock it for being different from other
eschatologies even though the difference is an improvement.