Re: Skeptic Article about AI

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 18:31:51 MST

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:29:14PM -0500, Adam Safron wrote:
> Wouldn't it be a horrible idea to reverse engineer the human brain
> as a template for your AI? If you have an AI that's human-like,
> I fail to see how you could ensure the "friendliness" of
> subsequent iterations of the progressively developing
> intelligence. Am I missing something?

I suppose it depends on the human you're copying; I'm quite a
friendly person!!

That was a joke, and no, you're not missing anything, but we have no
other example to copy, so we probably need to at least *understand*
the human brain, and we probably need to build something of equal
complexity to start with.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/