Re: What are useful for a phd?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 09:06:50 MST

On Dec 3, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Anthony Mak wrote:

> Question:
> I am about to start my phd and I am in the process of
> thinking what disciplines/sub-disciplines would be useful
> for FAI (Friendly AI)? And what could be the research
> direction? While not planning to base my entire phd on researching on
> FAI, I do hope that part of it will be relevant and thus
> useful to FAI development.

Aside from the fact that a PhD won't probably help much to become an
FAI programmer, your best bet is to probably look at

http://www.sl4.org/wiki/SoYouWantToBeASeedAIProgrammer

You might try talking to people on the SL4 IRC channel. Discussion
of this will probably be boring or irrelevant unless someone is
seriously proposing a new field of study that might be beneficial.

                Gordon Worley
e-mail: redbird@mac.com PGP: 0xBBD3B003
   Web: http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/