What are useful for a phd?

From: Anthony Mak (anthony.mak@iname.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 19:57:31 MST

NB: I hope my question is not entirely irrevelant to
this mailing list. But if anyone thinks so, I appologize.

Question:
I am about to start my phd and I am in the process of
thinking what disciplines/sub-disciplines would be useful
for FAI (Friendly AI)? And what could be the research
direction? While not planning to base my entire phd on researching on
FAI, I do hope that part of it will be relevant and thus
useful to FAI development.

Here are a few areas just off the top of my head.
I just need some help for the brainstorming. ^_^

Cognitive Science
Bayesian?
Deontic logic?
Kernel methods?