Re: Fundamental Genetic Algorithm

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 18:05:09 MDT

transhumanist@cox.net wrote:
> >From the description of Tierra:

> I think this type of bias on our own evolution needs to be eliminated for anything ‘real’ to happen. Just because that scheme worked with for our one instance organic chemistry evolution does not make it either necessary or sufficient.
Were that a complete description, then it would be "sufficient", though
I'll agree about necessary.

The fact is, we don't actually understand what was crucial about the
primitive environment from which we evolved. If you want to try this
approach, you will need to be very patient. You will also need some
metric to enable you to tell when you need to try altering the rules of
the scenario. If you get something as smart as an amoeba, then you will
have proof that you are on the right track.