Re: META: To SL4's readership

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 19:31:31 MDT

On 8/31/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:22:18PM -0700, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
> > wrote:
> >
> > It's an unmoderated list with strict posting and banning policies.
>
> Fair enough; duly noted.

Yeah, for an example of "strict policy" check the archives for 'Death Whim'

disclaimer: disclaimer added in lieu of hackneyed smiley face to indicate
the intention that the tone be amused and lighthearted. I considered the
general rule of thumb that one-line posts are not worth posting, and that
even more generally posts of length significantly less than the quoted
source are similarly worthless. So rather than leaving this long-winded bit
to decrease the signal to noise ratio, I suggest that it be an example of
how difficult it is to communicate is such a terrible language as english.
I'm no linguist, but it seems to me that most human language suffers from
such a low transmission success that it is truly amazing that we have any
sense of communication at all.

On the way to Artificial Intelligence, has there been any significant
discussion of increasing extant natural intelligence? (possibly a
discussion about maximizing Friendliness in natural human intelligence is
focussed on minimizing the apparent tendency toward unfriendliness)