Re: META: To SL4's readership

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 15:11:16 MDT

Russell Wallace wrote:

> The fact that you are devoting your full donated resources to that
> precise pressure point that, as far as I can see, gives you the
> maximum probability of exterminating sentient life... that is why I
> still fret. And why I still attempt to point out lines of the truth
> whenever it comes up without repeating myself. No offense intended - I
> know, obviously my post is offensive anyway, but please understand
> that it's not gratuitous. Think about how you'd react in my position.
Sorry, that position is held by various governments. An AGI would be a
possible way out. Extremely dangerous, I'll agree, but not as dangerous
as leaving H-bombs and biological warfare agents under the control of
human governments for an extended period of time. I consider us
extremely fortunate to have survived the last 50 years. Another like
period seems inevitable. Lets try to avoid any longer than necessary
under such an unstable equilibrium.