Re: Why IQ doesn't matter

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 11:40:40 MDT

On Aug 23, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Chris Capel wrote:

> I don't think my problems are all that unusual among genius-types,
> which is why I think they're relevant to the list and the discussion.
> Others may disagree, of course.

I won't specify who on this list has these problems, but many of the
smart folks here I've talked with over the years suffer from at least
one of the following (so don't take this list as exhaustive or
characteristic):

* lack of social skills (high-level autistic, Asperger's)
* attention disorders (ADHD, etc.)
* anxiety disorders (OCD, etc.)
* motivation disorders (MDD, etc. (this is still bleeding-edge stuff))
* physical disorders

I'm not a geneticist and I don't have the resources to check it, but
I hypothesize that the probability of having a mental or physical
disorder is greater for high-intelligence people than for all people
(i.e. P(disorder | smart) > P(disorder) ).[1] My best guess at an
explanation is that the genetic variations that make high-
intelligence possible also cause disorders (which we should expect,
since most significant genetic variations are more likely to cause
disorders than not, IIRC).

[1] A similar result is also probably true for the stupid, i.e. P
(disorder | stupid) > P(disorder).

                Gordon Worley
             Phone: 352-875-5808
e-mail: redbird@mac.com PGP: 0xBBD3B003