Re: AI architectures in the 2000s

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 20:33:24 MDT

Hi,

Novamente and LIDA, for instance, are integrative AI architectures
that were NOT created with any particular application in mind...

Furthermore, I wouldn't want to emphasize the "hybrid" aspect of
Novamente too strongly. The hybrid nature is just a matter of
convenience. The design was arrived at by starting top-down and
figuring out what the requirements are for components of an AGI
system. Then, when some existing computer science technology seemed
like it could be modified and extended to fulfill the requirements for
one of the components, it was used in this capacity. OTOH some
components were not matched by any existing computer science
technology and needed to be designed from scratch. So, the hybrid
nature is just a matter of convenience -- it's not as though we
started out by saying "hey, let's glue together some current
technologies"...

I know that LIDA became a hybrid system via the same approach. The
high-level breakdown into components was done first, and then existing
tech was used to fill out the components where possible. But LIDA
really just re-uses existing tech, whereas the components of NM are
filled-in with our own original tech that was often created by varying
and significantly improving on existing tech...

As for "agents", I find that word to have been used so broadly that I
never know what it really means anymore ;-)

-- Ben G