AI architectures in the 2000s

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 07:31:10 MDT

I'm generalizing largely on the basis of the architectures I saw at
the AGIRI conference... but would it be fair to call the 2000s the
decade of the "kitchen sink" AI? Up through the 1990s, you could look
at an AI architecture, and say, "It's
rule-based/behavior-based/reactive", or else it would be composed of 2
or 3 cleanly-separated layers, each being in one of those well-known,
identifiable architectural genres. Now I find architectures harder to
classify. It seems people are not putting as much emphasis on finding
the One True Unifying Principle to create AI.

What do you think?