Re: hive mind

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 08:04:59 MDT

On 8/2/06, Nikhil Bhatla <nbhatla@mac.com> wrote:
> I also wonder if one could split a single hemisphere into smaller
> components, teach each component to communicate, and manifest a
> multitude of independent consciousnesses, until the brain could
> divide no further and an "atom" of consciousness was isolated...I
> suspect human subject research guidelines may prevent this :)

Given that split brain patients exhibit substanial (severe? I'm not
familiar enough to say) limitations in cognitive function, I'm sure
that smaller subdivisions would only exacerbate the problem, and the
person would probably be completely non-functional with more than a
handful of completely or mostly separated regions.

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"