Re: Google wins

From: Shane Legg (shane@vetta.org)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 05:47:42 MDT

I don't remember exactly where I saw this (as it was some months ago,
possibly on an internet pod cast from some conference) but I remember
Norvig being asked if he thought significant advances in AI were around
the corner and whether Google was working on more advanced things
than computational linguistics etc. His answer was that he didn't expect
to see advanced AI any time soon, and that there were a few very small
projects in the company where people were playing around with more
ambitious AI technologies, but that it certainly wasn't a focus for the
company. At the time I took that to mean that some people were playing
around with some cool AI ideas during their 20% free time to work on
their own projects.

Shane