Re: hive mind

From: Mikko Särelä (msarela@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 19:07:35 MDT

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
> With a proper link, such as an electrode mesh or similar direct contact with
> the brain, which is transmitted to another human brain, such that each 'human'
> grows and develops with the link constantly in existence, do you think it is
> possible that only one mind would exist, or do you think that human brains are
> so designed that even with such a link, there would be two minds?

Definitely not SL4, but consider following.

Our brains consist of neurons, which form up modules which communicate
with each other. The outcome, to us, seems like one mind, mostly because
the communication bandwidth between the modules is high enough to rapidly
transfer information and to create a common interpretation of things.

Now consider upping the communication bandwidth with your fellow human
being from what it is currently, keep upping and upping, until you reach
the same bandwidth and delay properties you have within one brain. What do
you think will happen?

--
Mikko Särelä	http://thoughtsfromid.blogspot.com/
    "Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travelling." Aristotle