RE: Google wins

From: H C (lphege@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 15:41:46 MDT

>From: "Philip Goetz" <philgoetz@gmail.com>
>To: sl4@sl4.org
>Subject: Google wins
>Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:42:53 -0700
>
>Google has two large, long-term projects underway:
>
>1. Establishment of the world's most massive computing centers - this
>is odd, given that Google already has the best response time and most
>reliable websites in the world, and the amount of centralized
>computing power they are building does not seem necessary for indexing
>the web using anything like present means. Although I don't really
>know.
>
>2. Scanning in and converting to computer-searchable files as many
>books as they can.
>
>When an AI is developed, Google will have the most computer power to
>run it on, and the largest collection of data to feed it with.

I think that's pretty scary. I don't feel comfortable with that kind of
power being harnessed by anyone who doesn't have a rigorous theoretical
model that demonstrates Friendliness through recursive self-improvement.

It's too easy to screw up an AGI, and they are liable to kill us all.

On that note, though, it bothers me that we haven't seen anything out of
Eliezer since CEV.

-hank