Re: [agi] Re: Google wins

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 11:21:44 MDT

On 7/31/06, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:
> Google's data will be accessible to any AI anywhere, right?

No. Google's data will be /searchable/, only in that any AI anywhere
can submit a search expression, and get back a few scraps of the text.
 But the data is still under copyright, meaning Google can release
only as much of any individual work as is protected (in the US) by the
Fair Use Act. About one paragraph.

> Google is certainly well-positioned, but it would seem their
> research group is focused on text-processing-oriented narrow AI.
>The 64 million dollar question is whether they can successfully
> move toward AGI in this manner (I doubt it)... or whether,
> alternately, they will at some point start a genuine AGI
> research effort (who knows ... they
> can certainly afford it, but it wouldn't match their business
> focus)...

I think the 2 Google founders appear to be among the only
dot-billionaires who might put their money into AGI rather than into,
say, building a spaceship (Bezos, Carmack, that eBay guy).