Re: Google wins

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 10:55:35 MDT

Google's data will be accessible to any AI anywhere, right? And
computer power can be built up pretty quickly by anyone with a lot of
money...

Just as Google seemingly "arose out of nowhere", so could some other
organization, I reckon...

Google is certainly well-positioned, but it would seem their research
group is focused on text-processing-oriented narrow AI. The 64
million dollar question is whether they can successfully move toward
AGI in this manner (I doubt it)... or whether, alternately, they will
at some point start a genuine AGI research effort (who knows ... they
can certainly afford it, but it wouldn't match their business
focus)...

-- Ben