Re: CNN article with Bostrom interview and Kurzweil quotes

From: R. W. (rtwebb43@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 09:35:30 MDT

To the assertion that life is pointless -- Here is an incomplete point:

  For me, life is R.epetitive W.orth. For others, life is worth repeating.
For some, they have yet to find a clue (or fun for that matter). Some don't know there is a mystery and still others think there is an answer. -- Som_Dude.

  Life has an infinite number of points. Not all of them are within my attention span. You have the luxury of 'choosing' your interests; although ultimately it is your interests which have chosen you :) In the same way that your interest may create a great mind from simple substrate -- your mind was generated from simple substrate which itself was generated from a complex mind. When you move ad infinitum recursively backwards toward the origin (the prime mind) which generated this sequence, you realize you are an aspect of a holon. Beyond the holon, beyond the mind which we exist in and are a part of; and, therefore beyond comprehension (with exception of the dialectic) there is G-d. <---[Clue stated here for those without one].

  As for the singularity, I didn't learn about it. I had a vision about it November 9th, 1991 and have spent the last 15 years trying to understand it. I say vision because it was a completely lucid dream where I was fully conscious and my mind was free of all hinderences and doubt. I've never been able to repeat that incident dreamwise to my dismay. Finally, I'm starting to "get it". It's comforting to know this meme is emerging to relavence amongst others as well.

  We all have a role to play. Get a clue if you don't already have one (see above). Generate a schema if in doubt. Test it, validate it and move on.

  As for an AI, I don't think it will work without a recursive cycle of harmonic resonance to a fundamental frequency of thought. I believe emergence is a function of harmonic resonance of energy patterns. Each modal aspect will have to resonate with the others to provide coherence. The competing modalities will begin as a cacaphony and the modality with the greatest resonance will emerge. Study the dance of bees and their communicative devices and parallel them to dialectic modalities of mind. Solomon may have been on to something.

  Shalom

"R. W." <rtwebb43@yahoo.com> wrote:
    I am glad to see people have a good sense of humor!

  Samantha --

  Behind the rhetoric and between the rhetorical questions I asserted that, without an external problem set, intelligence would become irrelevant. So much so that it would necessitate the being to create recursively difficult novel internal problems to solve commiserate with it's intelligence. Unless there are infinite classes of external problems to solve (which I believe there are not), one infinitely transcendent being would, out of necessity, create constraints to vis own abilities in order to increase the difficulty of problems -- in order to have fun i.e. acknowledge something intimately meaningful about vis existence. I believe a dispersion of consciousness into self-organizing discrete frequencies of of energy into a holonic matrix would be one methodology to overcome the paradox of supreme intelligence -- "I know everything [useful] so what now?"

  I picture the phenomena as an accumulation, (where we are now), and then dispersion, (some omega point post singularity), of intelligence, conscience, etc. which leads to another metacycle of conscience aggregation and dispersion. It is a phenomena very similar to breathing.

  Eliezer --

  I have pure faith that you are capable of creating a being greater than any classically defined god. I have supreme hope we'll never need to turn it on. I have full expectation it would get bored with us very quickly and find more important things to do.

  In my incomplete philosophy, consciusness is continuously organizing itself into more refined modalities capable of recognizing itself with greater clarity. IMHO, the evolution of consciousness is simply a refining mechanism of this mind we organize within which it uses as a means to order and reorder itself through infinity.

  P.S. A mind capable of dispersion and self-reorganization of consciousness from discrete frequencies of energy into complex entities capable of self-recognition (like our universe) still wouldn't be G-d. Immortal--yes. Extremely powerful -- yes. Able to scare the bejesus out of mere mortals -- yes. Capable of satisfying every egotistical whim -- yes. But still not G-d.

  Have fun!

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:
  Samantha Atkins wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Joel Pitt wrote:
>
>> And about God - that is YPOV. If I had the power you speak of then I
>> don't think some mere mortal human is going to argue that I'm not a
>> God.
>
> Personally I find it distasteful and silly that tiny brained mortals
> are even quibbling about such.

I've yet to see a God described in any fashion that makes me want to
look up to it as worthy of admiration. Occasionally people accuse me of
wanting to build God, and I usually reply that I would never dream of
aiming so low; though I am but mortal, I think I can do better than *that*.

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.