New book on philosophy of mind (by me)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 00:22:37 MDT

Hi,

Individuals interested in the philosophy of mind and its potential
implications for AI and cognitive science may want to read my recent
book The Hidden Pattern, available via

http://www.brownwalker.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129890c

This manuscript synthesizes a bunch of ideas from my ancient books
from the 90s, some stuff from more recent online essays of mine, and
has some genuinely new stuff as well. Novamente gets some mention but
the focus in most of the book is more on mind-in-general than AI in
particular.

>From an AI perspective, I view the book as containing some ideas that
are very useful to understand in order not to develop WRONG ideas
about AI, some ideas that are useful for AI design, and some ideas
that will eventually be useful for interpreting and guiding AI
learning and behavior.

AI ethics is not extensively covered, though ethical issues are
discussed in a couple chapters in a more general way...

-- Ben Goertzel