Re: Cold-War Disarmament Activism

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 12:44:29 MDT

At 01:50 PM 6/28/2006 -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

snip

>I'm not following your reasoning at all because of what appears to be
>a badly broken analogy.
>
>MAD in a nutshell:
>
>MAD only works if . . . .

snip

It may be broken in another dimension. How do we know that MAD works at
all? The evidence that nobody pushed the button does not demonstrate it
was prevented by MAD. It might be that Neptune was in the right place in
its orbit, or could be that the conditions leading to full scale war
between the parties just didn't happen during the time. And to the extent
MAD depends on rationality, I am skeptical people going into war mode *are"
rational. (See Drew Westen's fMRI work on partisans.)

This relates to FAI in that AI could come about as a Manhattan type project
with the project leaders under war stress.

But this strays into areas that should be discussed elsewhere if you want
to transplant the thread.

Keith Henson