Re: Let's resolve it with a thought experiment

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 11:01:51 MDT

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:40:26AM -0400, John K Clark wrote:
> James MacAulay <jmacaulay@gmail.com>
>
> >No, it's getting the signal from outside. If there weren't a
> >radio station transmitting Beethoven, then the radio wouldn't be
> >playing it.
>
> My iPod needs no radio station to play Beethoven, but does it need
> a Beethoven circuit? If a hyper intelligence that is capable of
> far more complex behavior than a human can only feel rage if
> somebody writes a rage program then my iPod must need a Beethoven
> circuit to play Beethoven. But my iPod has no Beethoven circuit.

Again, do you have any idea how stupid this sounds? An mp3 of
Beethoven *is* a Beethoven curcuit, in exactly the same way that
code to express rage is a "rage circuit".

> >recent posts on this list have expressed this point more
> >eloquently than I can.
>
> I have not read any posts on this subject that have shown any
> realism morality or eloquence. I find that disappointing and
> disturbing.

I haven't read anything from you that shows any thoughtfullness at
all, nor more intelligence than that require to understand basic
English. I find that disappointing and disturbing.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/