Re: Two draft papers: AI and existential risk; heuristics and biases

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 12:45:35 MDT

Amara D. Angelica wrote:
>>on the topic of global catastrophic risks of Artificial Intelligence,
>>there is virtually no discussion in the existing technical literature.
>
> What about de Garis' The Artilect War?
> http://www.cs.usu.edu/~degaris/artilectwar2.html

Not technical.

Obviously there's been plenty of science fiction depicting good AIs and
bad AIs. This does not help us in the task of selecting a good mind,
rather than a bad mind, from within the vast expanses of design space.

(Incidentally, I recently met de Garis at Ben Goertzel's AGI conference.
  De Garis had never encountered the concept of Friendly AI and was
visibly shocked by it. We shall have to see what results from that.)