Re: Silk Flowers

From: James MacAulay (jmacaulay@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 16:29:34 MDT

On 15-May-06, at 5:59 PM | May 15, Woody Long wrote:

> I find this imaginable too. But I would put it 'The idea of a
> machine who
> is superior to me in every way, but nevertheless my servant who
> does my
> bidding.' There is no slavery possible with an FAI because it is
> not real
> life. We are building artificial life (Alife), not synthetic life.
> We are
> building a silk flower not a real flower. THAT is the realm of
> biologists.
> Therefore there is no real life, and so there is NO issue of FAI
> slavery or
> FAI human rights. An FAI Alife is a super intelligent machine that
> does the
> bidding of its clients, as a legal piece of private property to be
> bought,
> sold, and destroyed as willed by its owners. And no, you can give a
> silk
> flower the ability to produce all the emergent properties you want, it
> cannot transcend its silk nature and class, and turn into a real,
> carbon
> based flower. It can only become an extremely enhanced silk flower
> Jupiter
> Brain artificial life. Once a silk flower, always a silk flower ...
> No deal
> ... No life for you.

I find it pretty easy to imagine a Jupiter brain with the requisite
MNT powers to manufacture a human body/mind which is
indistinguishable from a human born of human parents. Artificial is
not mutually exclusive with biological, and furthermore I don't see
why the criteria for how we treat each other should be based on
substrate.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against the ethics of engineering beings
who enjoy being friendly. I don't think there's anything wrong with
that, because we do it pretty much every time we bear and raise a child.

James