Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 06:43:05 MDT

Have you ever read "The Moral
Animal<http://www.scifidimensions.com/Mar04/moralanimal.htm>"
by Robert Wright? This book looks at human morality and it's evolution
through the lens of evolutionary psychology. Its a fantastic read IMO and
while it may not refute moral nihilism it certainly does add dimension to
the issue. Also what do you think of Nietzsche's moral philosophy?
Nietzsche saw himself as a nihilist while a young man but eventually saw his
way out of that darkness.
Unlike some I've studied philosophy for long enough to not glibly dismiss
your arguments based on primate instinct alone (i.e. the instinct that
abhors anti-social behavior or ideas). Also I think this discussion is truly
SL4. Most on this list take for granted that there is such a thing as
"benevolence" and that we should all be working hard to relieve "human
suffering". I'm not saying this is wrong but it would be nice to here some
more sophisticated arguments for exactly why anyone should care about
anything. If we can't offer a philosophically rigorous refutation of moral
nihilism then it will be quite difficult to program a machine AGI that can
refute that position also. Just a thought.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson