Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 09:40:29 MDT

Bob Seidensticker wrote:
> Eliezer: Yes, good disctinction between predictions made by people who are
> actually on the front lines vs. those who aren't.

At the risk of being tedious, can I point out that I said this already
(yesterday)? And that Dani Eder added another point to mine. Neither
of our comments seem to have made any difference to the discussion: it
has continued blindly on, confusion piled on top of confusion.

I said:

I think there is some confusion here that is causing several different
types of argument to get tangled up.

1) If there are people with no direct or indirect knowledge of a field
who are making general futurist predictions of the Popular Mechanics
sort, OR general dismissals of the "This Is Not Going To Happen For A
Long Time" sort, then those kinds of analysis are worthless.

2) On the other hand, there are some people who work in a particular
field, or who know the technical side of a field well enough, who can
make more informed judgments about what might be over the horizon.

3) The exact meaning of some of the technologies is often completely
garbled. "Nanotech" used to mean something involving nanoscale
replicating self-assemblers. Today the term has been coopted to mean
various forms of small particle technology, and as a result SOME people
talk about "nanotech" being five years away -- but according to the
original definition of the word, that is nonsense.

and Dani added: