Re: AI Goals

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 14:44:52 MDT

On Apr 26, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Woody Long wrote:

>> Why on earth would you want all value decisions to be made by highly
>> limited intelligences largely under the influence of evolutionary
>> psychology designed around their surviving long enough to breed on
>> the plains of Africa? How could such severely limited and tainted
>> intelligences possibly make beneficial non-catastrophic value
>> judgments as accelerating change makes the world more and more
>> different than what their design tolerances can handle? How will
>> such slow and limited beings keep up well enough to make such
>> decisions as the decision points come faster and faster with much
>> more complex interdependencies?
>
> This sounds to me like you have made my point, because as you say
> these
> value decisions will be "made by highly limited intelligences." For
> this
> very reason, I just can't see how VPTS will ever be allowed to be
> more then
> puppets of their originating countries. And if you believe a VPTS
> will
> solve the age-old problem of human war, I think this is mistaken.
> It seems
> to me a VPTS will only simply amplify the positions of their
> originating
> country. And some day there will be a Chinese TS, Iranian TS, North
> Korean
> TS, etc. each I can only imagine pushing their own breed of
> religious and
> political systems. Electric is thicker then water. So what has been
> gained?

If it sounds like I made you point then I am afraid you completely
missed mine. If we are continuing to fight one another for very
human motivations with progressively more advanced technology useable
by ever smaller groups then humanity is doomed. If we attempt to
make wise decisions without greater intelligence and control over our
EP then we will screw up in more and more disastrous ways, eventually
catastrophically. Game over. No utopia. No retries.

Why would we choose not to escape the limits of our evolved
psychology and physiology to sufficient degree to at least have a
chance of surviving and thriving?

> Meanwhile, a SETS could be maintaining the mega systems of earth
> such as
> electric grids, nuclear power plants, weather systems, transportation
> systems, etc., plus actively advance all sciences, such as food
> science,
> medical science, the space exploration sciences, etc.

No, it would not because the decision on what to use its abilities
for would be left in the hands of the monkeys in your ideal outcome.

> The human values
> involved in these decisions are simple, constant, and uncontroversial.

You have been paying attention as the current US administration
undercuts and largely ignores the input of science haven't you? The
human determination of relevant priorities and goals is extremely
dangerous. Nothing is more controversial than when the facts are
not in agreement with the desires of the alpha monkeys.

> This
> is all I mean by a technological systems paradise. And I still have to
> believe that a SETS could get us there SAFER, quicker, and easier
> then the
> never-ending arguing international VPTSs.

Without serious upgrades and or overrides of current human
limitations and proclivities you will not get to any kind of paradise
or to a future that still has humans in it at even today's level.

- samantha