Re: AI Goals

From: Woody Long (ironanchorpress@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 13:31:58 MDT

This sounds to me like you have made my point, because as you say these
value decisions will be "made by highly limited intelligences." For this
very reason, I just can't see how VPTS will ever be allowed to be more then
puppets of their originating countries. And if you believe a VPTS will
solve the age-old problem of human war, I think this is mistaken. It seems
to me a VPTS will only simply amplify the positions of their originating
country. And some day there will be a Chinese TS, Iranian TS, North Korean
TS, etc. each I can only imagine pushing their own breed of religious and
political systems. Electric is thicker then water. So what has been gained?

Meanwhile, a SETS could be maintaining the mega systems of earth such as
electric grids, nuclear power plants, weather systems, transportation
systems, etc., plus actively advance all sciences, such as food science,
medical science, the space exploration sciences, etc. The human values
involved in these decisions are simple, constant, and uncontroversial. This
is all I mean by a technological systems paradise. And I still have to
believe that a SETS could get us there SAFER, quicker, and easier then the
never-ending arguing international VPTSs.