Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 11:10:58 MDT

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:52:57PM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> I'm confused: was your point that Phil's comment was so foolish
> that it deserved only sarcasm?

Yes.

> If the ability to hold simultaneous chunks in working memory is
> somehow connected to the maximum theoretical amount of total
> connectivity of concept-level objects in the brain, then it would,
> as Phil points out scale in a very unfortunate way with increasing
> brain size.

"Scale unfortunately" != exponential, which was his claim. If it
was exponential, brain size would be an exponential WRT
intelligence, since clearly working memory *is* a key intelligence
component. The size of my brain vs. a chimps disproves that
assertion. QED.

(not that I could have come up with that on my own; riding
coat-tails here)

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/