Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 10:52:57 MDT

Eliezer,

I'm confused: was your point that Phil's comment was so foolish that it
deserved only sarcasm?

Or maybe this wasn't sarcasm at all (apologies if not) and you can
explain a few oddities, like why my cranial volume does not appear to be
hundreds of times large than the average cranial volume that I see every
day on the street...?

If the ability to hold simultaneous chunks in working memory is somehow
connected to the maximum theoretical amount of total connectivity of
concept-level objects in the brain, then it would, as Phil points out
scale in a very unfortunate way with increasing brain size. And if the
ability to hold simultaneous chunks is crucial to the power of thought
or degree of intelligence (whatever that is), this might have serious
consequences.

I would argue against his conclusion. But the argument does not seem to
me to be incoherent.

Richard Loosemore