Re: Unemotional posts taken as emotional

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 14:04:38 MST

Ah, you may need to be a little careful, yourself, about those tricky
universal quantifiers ;-), as in my phrase "please STOP assuming that
*everything* I write is emotional...."

This is different from "please DO assume that everything I write is NOT
emotional".

The word *everything*, in the original, allows me to say that I am
unemotional 99% of the time, whilst at the same time reserving the right
to emphasize one small point with a carefully chosen emotive word when
it is appropriate.

Was it actually appropriate? Well, in this case, where I was referring
to unjustified emotional behavior in *someone* *else* (one single
individual), the context makes it fairly reasonable to describe that
person's behavior as "asinine".

I doubt that it is evidence of a "serious social problem" on my part.

[That said, I have just written about a possible misunderstanding of my
comment.]

Richard Loosemore.