Re: The SA and the DA

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 15:25:52 MST

Any system of morality excludes simulations of what we see now. And if conscious actors don't have some system of morality, they go extinct through misuse of their engineering prowess. Whatever prevents *them* from destroying *their* reality, also exempts *our* reality from being a simulation. Unless this is a self-imposed simulation; unless you purposely choose this as a vacation for a few decades and forget your memories for a while....and that is a very dangerous solipsist/karmic way of viewing the world. Who would be so lame as to play a video game that lasts a lifetime? Since I know I'm real, that means I'm the simulator. I'm a god!! Or this isn't a simulation.

Jeff Herrlich <jeff_herrlich@yahoo.com> wrote:
    I would be greatly angered. Such a simulation seems plainly cruel from my human perspective. I would also be very upset by other possible implications. Such as, if a simulation of this sort is allowed, are there any limitations at all to what can be simulated? Is a simulated "Hell" with 10 billion sufferers an allowable thing to create? Is a post-human allowed to simulate conscious sex-slaves for its own amusement? What will be my own fate if and when my simulation is over? Etc. Fortunately for me, I don't currently think this is a simulation.

Philip Goetz <philgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
  Poll: Do you or do you not have a problem with living in a simulation?
I mean, would it upset you grea! tly to learn you are living in a
simulation? If so, why?

Intellectually, I think it shouldn't matter much to me. It wouldn't
rob me of my "dignity" or make me feel like a soulless robot. But it
would probably be disturbing to me to know.

Yahoo! Mail