Re: Fermi Paradox explained (was Re: Memory as Simulation)

From: Olie Lamb (neomorphy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 17:50:13 MST

On 3/8/06, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/06, Olie Lamb <neomorphy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > We already know that we're not in a friendly simulation (thank you
> > argument from Evil, I mean, Banana test). How does this show anything about
> > anything else?
> >

> We are neither in a friendly, nor unfriendly, simulation (if its a sim at
> all).
> If it is a sim it's a *serious* one and not a toy. We definately seem to
> be lacking interfering deities and Superman.
>
> Dirk

??? Surely, as simulated beings, whatever is happening will seem
appropriate for our world. If Superman was a part of the sim, that would
seem normal - no?

I mean, you could refer to the slapstick-like suffering of so many people
and argue from this that this world is like a jupiter-brain's sick joke.
Apply Occam's razor... what's the simplest explaination for, say, the US
administration? I think that sick joke gets a pretty high "Occam page
ranking".

The presence of such sick jokes makes us seem more like a toy, less like a
serious experiment. What does it matter?

-- Olie