Re: Syllabus for Seed Developer Qualifications [WAS Re: Some considerations about AGI]

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 18:39:36 MST

Game theory (if that's what it's called) - to understand the difference
between the "zero-sum" game of most traditional models, and "infinite
resource" (for lack of a better term opposite zero-sum) thinking that will
result from a post-Singularity economy.

I would recommend "the Art of War" (Sun Tzu) as it applies to game theory.
Most of the war game strategies could be applied to building complex
behavior from simple(r) atomic concepts. It might be a while before an AGI
is directly consuming the high-level significance of the text, but if
developers are writing probability competition algorithms - then "the Art of
War" is a terse distillation of basic principles.

How about a course in group dynamics? (or sociology, or whatever your
university calls it) If the AI is modelled as a synergistic collection of
individual cells, each with primitive motivating forces - then the macro
level behaviors are influenced by micro-level relationships. Worth
examining are the edge cases of "mob" psychology, where a group of
individually good-natured people are swayed by peer-pressure to riot and
destroy the venue they're inhabiting.

I know there are those who would approach AGI from a computer science
direction, but I believe that a multi-discipline background helps bring a
wide range of new ideas to the table.

I don't think you would be talking to yourself - in fact, i think this is a
very worthwhile thread. I will continue thinking about it, so I can
contribute more later.