Re: Why invest in AGI?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 15:24:07 MST

Hi,

My impression is that Gates has an attitude roughly similar to that of
Kurzweil, which is roughly (according to my interpretation, which may
be wrong): "AGI is definitely going to happen, and may well drive the
Singularity, but it's most likely to happen as the natural result of a
few more decades of conventional academic science, so there's no need
to invest in maverick AGI approaches living out the mainstream."

I find this attitude frustrating yet not extremely stupid.

-- Ben G