Introducing the AGIRI Forum [was Re: META: Re: SL4?]

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 18:32:30 MST

Hi all,

This discussion of the shortcomings of the mailing list format leads
me to bring up the point that there IS a better discussion format out
there, which is the forum.

Mailing lists do not lend themselves to consistently high-quality
discussion. I think SL4 is a great list as lists go, but that's
because the *best* discussions on SL4 have been really good -- even
though the average discussion is quite uninteresting and repetitive
from the list old-timer's perspective.

As has been pointed out, SingInst has a little-used forum site.

AGIRI (AGI Research Institute) also has a new forum site, which we
just put up last month, and which has gotten very little usage yet:

http://www.agiri.org/forum/index.php?showforum=10

I would like to invite all list members to sign up for the AGI Forum
and carry out high-quality discussions of AI and Singularity related
topics there. I'm not suggesting that forums should necessarily
replace mailing list discussion, but at very least I think they can be
a very appealing alternative/augmentation.

I admit that using a forum is slightly more of a pain than using a
mailing list. However, forums are more easily searchable, they're
editable after the fact, and they are more cleanly organizable by
topic. Overall my view is that they support a higher level of
discussion. For instance, the forums at the imminst.org website have
definitely supported a more consistently high level of content than
that on the SL4 list.

-- Ben Goertzel