Re: SL4?

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 12:14:11 MST

On Jan 18, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Patrick Crenshaw wrote:
> Yeah, this is one of the main reasons I quit posting to the list. When
> I first started reading the list I was hoping to learn some stuff
> about AI, but I haven't really learned anything here.

What were you expecting to learn? AI is not a well-defined
engineering discipline on can read up on, otherwise AI would already
be here in abundance. The really important principles are few in
number and superficially simple; if you are looking for a ToE, you
will have to study the theory enough to recognize it when you see it.

In my opinion, SL4 is more of a study of classic failure modes in AI
development, both in terms of methodology and the theory itself.
This is a rich source of knowledge about what is not AI and how to
not go about developing it, which will teach you far more if you pay
attention than getting someone's opinion on how AI should be built.

J. Andrew Rogers